Saturday, July 11, 2009

Having Impact

Excerpt from John 7: 1 -9"Jesus said to them, 'My time has not yet come, but your time is always here. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify against it that its works are evil.'"Reflection by Anthony B. RobinsonIn John 7 we find Jesus talking with his brothers. They are after him to leave rinky-dink, nothing-ever-happens-here Galilee and head for the big city. Get on up to the big, public festival in Jerusalem if you want to make a difference, they tell him.


Want to have an impact? You'd better work on your visibility. Get yourself where you'll be noticed by more people, noticed by the right people. Jesus responds to their strategy suggestions as follows: "My time has not yet come, but your time is always here. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify against it that its works are evil." Tough words. What in the world do they mean?Jesus has a different strategy for making an impact. It's not about marketing or visibility or power-centers, it's about being faithful to God's will.

Instead of asking, "How can I get more notice or more attention?" Jesus asks, "What does God want me to do and say?" Instead of putting a finger up to see which way the wind is blowing, Jesus opens his heart to God's will, even if it means saying things people don’t want to hear When you wonder how you can make a difference, remember Jesus' strategy for making an impact: stay centered on God’s will and way. PrayerI confess, Lord, that too often my mind is not set on divine things, but on human things. Today help me to stay more focused on what you want and leave the outcomes up to you. Amen.

No comments: