Thursday, December 25, 2008

Dear God,

Life is a journey, a way that we must all walk. We all know this, but since we often do not know what kind of a journey it is to be, we create expectations of the way we want it to be, and then frequently find that it is not what we expected. We often associate the Plan or God's Plan for us with comfort and ease. We think that if everything is going along well, if we don't have too many challenges or troubles and if we are comfortable, that God has blessed us. We erroneously think that pain is a result of sinning against God, that pain is punishment for doing wrong. Even if we do not consciously believe this, we probably believe it unconsciously. "What have I done wrong?" is often asked when things do not go the way we want. We tend to associate happiness with the lack of pain and disturbances, and assume that such happiness and good feelings are God's blessing.

We must learn to accept the limitations, obstacles and challenges in our personal lives and learn from them the true nature of reality. At first we really don't know what is going on or why we experience what we do. We just find life difficult, challenging and often painful. Suffering is seen as intrinsic to human life. But we really don't know why. Eventually, after much experience and reflection, we start to find meaning in it all and gladly accept the responsibility you have blessed us with. For this I am forever grateful, and I want to thank you for what you have already done. I am not going to wait until I see results or receive rewards; I am thanking you right now. I am not going to wait until I feel better or things look better; until people say they are sorry or until they stop talking about me; until the pain in my body disappears; until my financial situation improves; until the children are asleep and the house is quiet; until I get promoted at work or until I get the job; I am going to thank you right now.

I am not going to wait until I understand every experience in my life that has caused me pain or grief; I am not going to wait until the journey gets easier or the challenges are removed; I am thanking you right now. I am thanking you because I am alive. I am thanking you because I made it through the day's difficulties. I am thanking you because I have walked around the obstacles. I am thanking you because I have the ability and the opportunity to do more and do better. I'm thanking You because FATHER, YOU haven't given up on me. God is just so good, and he's good all the time!

No comments: