Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Interracial Relationship Is Now More Accepted"

Interracial Relationships (Discussion Blog)

Having a relationship is a wonderful thing. You get to learn more about a person, whether it is their family, their habits, whether they leave hair in the sink, or if they leave the toilet seat up. We can go back and forth with the religion and the entire belief system that they go by; it doesn't mean that they are a bad person. But there is one topic that will always draw that proverbial line in the sand .

Interracial relationships.

There are some who are all for it, while there are others who are dead set against it. Hey, to each his/her own. But let's entertain this for a second. Is there really a difference other than a skin tone? Is there a huge significance between textures of hair? What about other typical features? While others don't see this as an issue, there are some that will draw the conclusion that this is 100% taboo. No one wants to touch it, or even "go there" for the sake of their upbringing or their peers. Others will say, "Oh, it's cool to hang out with them, but I would never ever date them, more or less have a relationship with them" Some even entertained the thought, but not seriously giving it a go.

On the other side of the fence, you have those who are all for the idea. They hop over that fence and ride the prairie into the sunset. Some do it for the discovery and the conquest, while others do it for the sake of it being a preference. I wouldn't expect a "purist" to be swayed by this, knowing about that whole, "preserving the bloodline" thing, but just think about it for a second. Walk with me, if you will. Dating interracially and having an interracial relationship is a great thing. You learn a lot about people, and at the same time, you'll realize that it's not really that big of a deal. Seriously, it isn't a big deal.

I have dated more varieties of men than Baskin Robbins has flavors. Why? Because I'm colorblind really. I look for the personality, not the skin tone. I don't go with the crowd, so to speak. I wasn't raised to have that whole, "stick with your own kind" mentality. Even though my family understands, the families of the guys I have dated weren't so easy to deal with. Was it like this every time? Of course not, there were only a selected few. Of course, I was called a "traitor" and all that bullshit, but the fact of the matter is, I really didn't – still don't and never will – give a shit. Of course, I wouldn't touch those who have an ethical or cultural issue with dating someone outside of their element, nor would I date those who are only doing it to piss off a relative. I really don't like those types of people.

There are many reasons why people date outside of their race. Some like the challenge while others want to seek out "Myths" that are stereotypically placed, like the whole "black men have big…." theory. Nothing could be further from the truth, by the way. Some do it for the sake of if they ever have children, their kids will have good hair, or beautiful eyes. WHAT THE HELL? People do this for all sorts of reasons, from the more logical, to the completely insane. I do it for the sake of being happy. Like I said, race isn't an issue with me. As long as he's a great looking guy with a greater personality and with a pulse, I'm sold ;)It's not the color of their skin that makes them a great person, it's their personality. If the guy is an asshole, he can be black, white, purple or orange; he's going to be a certified asshole. A woman is going to be a bitch whether she's from America or Zimbabwe.


Same thing applies with whether they're going to be a great catch and you live happily ever after with them. "Oh, this group is this" and "This group is that" What difference does that make? We all have people in our collective races that put a black eye on the entire race as a whole. I blame that on generations of stupidity and stereotypes, not a color.

Being brutally honest, we're all going to be black once the casket closes and the body starts decomposing, so let's just cut it out, eh? Like I stated before, if you're a total purist, then this is not for you. No one wants to hear about how "superior" your race is or, "How you can't wait to settle down with an xx person and blah blah blah." If it's a phase, then so be it, but just remember, you can be a phase to someone as well. Someone could be going through a phase of assholes. I know I've had them.

So, if there's that lovely female that has caught your eye and she's of another ethnicity, go for it! If you found that great looking guy and he's of another persuasion…DO HIM…er..IT! Yeah, that's it. LOL. It's about the personality, and how you two will be together.


Don't let a thing like skin tone and race turn you off from the possibility of finding a great person for you to spend the rest of your life with (or at least a few great nights. I'm just sayin...) I'm not an advocate by any means; I'm just making a point that interracial dating is not a big deal. It's not the 1950's anymore, it's 2008. I think we have a long way for this to actually be acceptable, which it is in many circles.

So, I leave this open for discussion.

Would you ever have an interracial relationship? Why or why not?


If you have, would you do it again?

Is there any differences that you may have encountered?

No comments: